Thursday, May 1, 2008

New Sounds

Hello, hello all,

Well, for my first Levity blog I thought maybe a quick rundown of my current musical favourites would suffice to introduce myself and my sonic aesthetic.So, in no particular order, here goes...

The tall, deep-south muso Bradford Cox of Deerhunter has recently made this amazing album under the nom de plume of Atlas Sound.
http://www.myspace.com/bradfordcox Ethereal, atmospheric and downright moving, it’s giving me that heady, sought after kick, the spine shiver.

MGMT’s Oracular Spectacular is also rocking my world. This record is totally infectious. Freakishly good.
Now, normally that sort of immediacy and the contemporaneous boat load of hype about a band usually causes some hesitation and the ringing of alarm bells (not to mention sunglasses on during indoor interviews dudes!), but I have to say I’m at their mercy...The Youth (the third song) has me all wrapped up in some powerful web, it’s like an anthem for an age that has so few...

When I want to blow my brains out with a squall of homemade pedals that re-wire the possibilities of six copper-wound strings and a warm valve amp A Place To Bury Strangers is sheer awesomeness. But for lighter moments, Vashti Bunyan and her lovable ‘60s sound has been a favourite in the car coming back from the beach and on Sunday mornings, as has the spaghetti western, LA bandits Spindrift , these guys are killer. http://www.myspace.com/thewest

Then there’s this band from San Diego called Dodos. Kinda bluesy- psych stuff. They are s**t hot and are definitely on the highest of rotation.

Other new things I’m enjoying include Sleeping States’ new EP and the New Zealand post-rockers HDU’s new album Methamatics. (art attached for this claire) It’s tough as. And I can’t leave out the sultry, rumbling rock of The Duke Spirit. Their new album Neptune is mind-blowing.

Joshx

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home