Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Breaking a Bluejuice leg & DJAM Party!

MARTIN - BOUNDARY SOUNDS

Hey, I’m new to this blogging thing. Not sure what to write about nor how interesting it’s gonna be but I figured that over the next few weeks we’ll get to know each other bit by bit.

So it’s been a pretty huge week in PhDJ land. The last 7 days has seen the following stuff happen to me in no particular order:

Touring with Bluejuice and Breaking Jake Stone’s Ankle
I have spent parts of the last 2 months with the boys on planes and in vans and in clubs and venues DJing on the tour at the shows as well as hosting the Purple Sneakers after-parties in all the capital cities and some of the smaller towns in between. Together we went to Perth, Melbourne, Sydney, Canberra, Newcastle and last week Brisbane. I also brought my video camera along for th trip and have been filming a video diary of the tour (which you’ll probably be seeing down the track).

Brisbane was a great show for the guys. The Paper Scissors and Bluejuice had been touring together for two months and had sold out every show along the way, and this second last show of the tour was no different. Except for one thing… Later at the after-party I was dancing (well, jumping is a more appropriate word) with my mate Jake Stone (he’s one of the MCs) and we got a bit excited when I dumped Warren G’s ‘Regulate’ on the decks, and after a bit of jumping around whilst holding hands in our drunken haze and a bit of a tangle we both fell. And as you may know, Jake’s not a big guy, and I’m not a small guy, and in an awkward landing I ended up cushioning the fall with a bit of Jake Stone leg. Ouch!! No sooner had I landed back in Sydney the next day than I’d heard that Jake had ended up in hospital with a fracture.

Needless to say the trooper that he and Bluejuice are he played the final date of the tour with his leg in plaster!! What a band, and what a tour!!




Throwing a Party for DJ AM
A couple of weeks ago I was approached to personally throw a party for LA superstar DJ AM. Yeah, we all know that he was the guy that went out with Mandy Moore and Nicole Ritchie and that he’s total Sneaker Freaker, but over and above that he’s actually just an awesome DJ!!!

I invited my mate DJ Kato to organise the party with me at 77. In less than 2 weeks we had arranged the party, done the flyer, pulled the press and pushed the PARTY button. On the night 77 had line ups snaking around the corner.

Dude, the guy plays my kinda party shit. He literally plays everything and anything. He’ll go from Justice to the Knightrider theme to Outkast to Oasis in the space of minutes. And toward the end of his set he was really letting rip with the indie classics, so like a giddy school girl (and given that he was playing such a variety of music) I requested he play ‘Waiting Room’ by Fugazi. And minutes later the guy was nailing it. Definite highlight!!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home