Friday, June 6, 2008

STUFF I'M DOING AND MUSIC I'M LISTENING TO!


PhDJ (Martin Boundary Sounds)


Launch of Levity Nights
You may or may not know, but I own an events company called Boundary Sounds. I’m neither the brains nor the brawn of this organization, I’m simply the pretty face (OK, not strictly true). The hard workers at Boundary Sounds run weekly nights like Purple Sneakers, as well as one off events, plus we are involved with presenting stages at festivals and the like. So when the guys at Levity Label asked us to help them put on a new weekly club night we immediately went “hell yeah!!”. Last Thursday saw the launch night happen and it was ace! Months of hard work realised in one awesome launch party!! The Holidays played, Red Riders DJd and my man Nick Findlay and I both spun tunes too. And if you’ve ever seen a band play in a room a little bigger than your bedroom it’s a pretty exciting affair. Bring on this Thursday!!

Other shit to look out for in coming weeks of the blog…

Sparkadia UK Tour
I got asked to join Sparkadia on their UK tour later on this month. They are playing at a series of huge British festivals including Glastonbury and O2 Wireless in England, Oxegen in Ireland and T in the Park in Scotland. So I’ll be keeping you up to date with my travels with the band and then on my way home to get back for Splendour I’ll be dropping by Japan’s huge Fuji Rock Festival, so will keep you in the loop on that too.

VHS or Beta at Purple Sneakers
VHS or Beta are DJing at Purple Sneakers this Friday, and I get the pleasure of driving them from their gig to Purple Sneakers in my big black Bedford (pic attached). Last year Chk Chk Chk (!!!) got to ride in the very same van and on the trip back from Playground Weekender of all things they taught me a brief history of Southern Hip Hop and kick-started my love for Three Six Mafia.

Festivals Festivals
This weekend PhDJ (that’s me) and Purple Sneakers DJs are playing at 2 festivals. Saturday sees us playing at Come Together Festival, and Sunday we get to play alongside Bonde Do Role, !!!, The Bravery and others at We Love Sounds Festival. I’ll give you a run down of the weekend’s activities in my next blog.


Music I’ve been listening to lately:

The Dirty Secrets – The Dirty Secrets
I couple of weeks ago I was asked to work on an official remix of a track for Dirty Secrets together with my production partner Black Anthony (we go by the name of Dept.). The Dirty Secrets are essentially a danceable indie pop band from Perth, and they are a touch on the synth side so I suppose due to that they inhabit the same musical territory as Dardanelles and Van She. And honestly they are every bit as good as these bands, both on record and live. Their self-titled debut album is pop gem after pop gem. You’ve probably already heard the single Five Feet of Snow, but on top of that there are other soon to be hits like ‘Devil’s Inside’ and ‘White Lies’, but to me the highlight is ‘Thoughts and Considerations, which is a Killer’s style slightly ethereal number with a touch more emotion. I suppose the Killers reference can be levelled at them as a criticism, but the fact is that unlike many bands these days they actually write songs rather than just ‘angular riffs’. Go get em!

Booka Shade - Movements
I’ve also discovered an old Booka Shade album from a couple of years back called ‘Movements’. I have an extremely large ‘music to acquire list’ which doesn’t discriminate across genre, and this record has been on it for ages. I finally got it and I gotta say that even though I’m not usually into music without words, nor am I really into non-song-based dance music, but as far as minimal techy stuff goes this is quite pleasing as daytime listening or night time driving music. I presume it would also be great at 5am at a big night club too, but you’re not likely to be seeing me dancing to music like this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home