Friday, June 20, 2008

TIRED, SOOOO VERY TIRED...


PHDJ (Boundary Sounds)


Not sure if I mentioned it in previous blogs but next week I am off to the
UK for 5 weeks to do some djing, some business and some film making. As well
as to hang out with some old friends.

I love London. I lived there for almost 3 years a few years back, and it
spoils you. There's literally an international act coming through town every
single night. Most nights there's three or four bands you want to go and see
but can't. And during Summer there's a festival every weekend. Some weeks I
hardly went home cos I was partying so hard. Then again I was pretty lucky
as I was working as a DJ and nothing else at the time, so as long as I
turned up for my sets I was OK. Even if I was still drunk.

Last few years it's a bit different. Ever since I started Boundary Sounds I
take my annual trip to London quite seriously.

The trip serves multiple purposes. I'll be playing clubs London, and I'll be
dropping in to Paris and Ibiza too. I'm also going over because I've started
filming a documentary that is exploring the ambiguous term of Oindie' and
the concepts behind it. I'm lining up interviews with guys like Alan McGee
(Creation records) and Geoff Travis (Rough Trade) - guys who were
instrumental in defining the early days of Oindie'. Back when it still
referred to being unsigned or signed to an independent label, pre-Radiohead
days. I shouldn't start on that topic as we'd probably be here all night.

I'm flying over and staying in London with my bestest buddies Sparkadia.
They are both lucky and good enough to have signed to a label over in the UK
and Europe as well as have an agent that look after them quite well. They've
been booked onto just about every British festival worth playing this
summer, so as a result I'll be tagging along to Glastonbury festival, T in
the Park in Scotland, Oxegen in Ireland, O2 Wireless in London and a
plethora of other gigs. I'll probably end up filming some tour diary action
as well, so look out for that down the track.

On my way back I'll be dropping into Japan to go to Fuji Rock Festival
before I come back to Oz for Splendour in the Grass.

Anyway, back to now ­ so where that brings me now is that I'm fuckin tired.
I have so much work to finish before I leave. I'm not quite sure when I'll
do my packing. Luckily for me a long time ago I devised a wardrobe for
myself which consists only of blue jeans, Cons, my trusty Chicago Bulls hat
and whatever band shirt I can get my hands on. And even more lucky for me,
the best band shirt shop in the world is at the stables markets on Chalk
Farm Road in Camden Town (London), so it means that it's not long now before
I get my annual band shirt refresher. And it also means I gotta pack light
going over to London as I'll be carrying excess baggage in band shirts on my
way back!!!

Oh well, that's enough from me. I gotta go give Ruby Rose (from MTV) a DJ
lesson. Next time you'll be hearing from me I'll probably be on Sparkadia's
tour bus on our way to Glastonbury Festival.

Until then, Cowabunga!!!

M

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home