Monday, October 27, 2008

YKB back in BRIS!

Well, well dear Blog the last week has been great, for the most part because I have reacquainted myself with my own bed (as opposed to floorboard, couches, other flat surfaces that don't have nails sticking out of them). The first gig night was in Byron Bay, the beach right? WRONG! Well, the beach was still there but not as you and I might know it... I arrived with a joyous smile on my face, wearing board-shorts, and my best singlet, towel draped over one shoulder only to be robbed of my joy and my body warmth by the bleak skies, bone chilling wind, and sleeting rain.


After I was consoled by my family, and close friends I pulled myself together just in time for sound check (not load-in..... i missed that because i got there too late, my apologies to my band members), anyway long story short, we played a rousing set to a small but excitable crowd who seemed to be somewhat 'medicated' but if gigging has taught me anything that can only be a good sign. Though I'm not sure what it means when your merch girl is so adequately medicated that she is rolling out of her chair, but who could judge her it was a thursday night, a night which we have dubbed the start of the weekend.

Back to Brisbane the next morning, after the inevitable quest for organic doughnuts in Byron. A gig in our home town, in our spiritual home of the Zoo, what more could you ask for? Well if it include making it out of the Valley Corner Chinese joint alive (even after the imperial king prawn), and that we recorded the show both audio and visual, AND people actually came (always a surprise to me i assure you), and they danced, and the merch girl was coherent at the nights end...... I think that makes for a pretty awesome night really. Oh yeah, and we made sure that Chris' drum riser was 2 feet in the air, he needed a step to get onto it!

Saturday night, playing a beach town at a really great venue the Coolangatta Ho, apparently a few weeks before us the matches played there and found a severed pigs head left behind after a heavy metal gig! Which boggles my mind considering that heavy metalers have always seemed to be the nicest most misrepresented people groups. I have been wrong before. Anyway, our house guys name was Mud. Some said (including himself) that this was because of his mixing ability, I chose to make a vague correlation between the pigs head and the name Mud. Pigs? Mud? I rest my case. We went to big chief burgers, WOW! Seriously good burgers, Charles led us along the street of Coolangatta, like some kind of mystic, crouched over and beckoning us with his gross shriveled hand and making gurgling noises which we guess were coming from sound kind of mouth. Anyway, unbeknownst to me Adam and Clark (our amazing sound and lights duo) timed me eating my burger, as they believe that i don't chew my food. I would like to say that I do chew my food, but that I feel excessive chew degrades the flavors and robs you of the joys of it. My time was 2:30, and I had been trying to eat slowly.

Last but not least, the Sol Bar at Coolum, possibly the most fun you can have on a Sunday night up the coast. From a bands perspective, free dinner, half price drinks (including really fruity cocktails you would never have ordered before because of cost, and because the other kids would laugh at you) and a tiny stage were you can quite easily be mistake for a crowd member. Well I have sad news for all of you who think that sounds fricken awesome fun. Its being pulled down to put apartments in. I want to go on record and say that apartments suck and that they kill every live music venue they can sink their hands into. So I choose to remember the Sol Bar for the good times we had, for the el tropico's, the white russians, the crazy looking blue drink that Meg ordered, and the red cordials that we all consumed. Goodbye Sol Bar, goodbye Blog, Goodbye my faithful readership consisting of my mum, Meg our manager (she edits out my jokes), and any poor soul who stumbles across this just like in Jumanji.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home