Monday, July 21, 2008

Tears & Mice

Joel - Wolf & Cub

Week two in the studio, is turning out to be not unlike week one but there a few subtle differences; its still freezing unfortunately, the mice are still around, but thankfully we’re much more productive than last time we spoke. First week was spent in pre-production which involved Chris and I sorting through all the demos again and deciding which of those we dig and think deserve further attention and which ones are basically shit and deserve to be never heard again. I’d like to say it was a painless exercise but it wasn’t, Chris is too blunt for me sometimes and as I tend to get a bit attached to all our demos it can be difficult to take criticism, especially when your producer tells you a demo, which you had high hopes for, isn’t really that strong, or “just shit” as Chris discreetly puts it. What can I say demos are like your newborn; it can be hard to be told they’re ugly. Anyhow once my eyes dried and I could be in the same room with Chris again we decided that about 13 of the demos were strong enough to work on. There are also a few new new ones that I’ve been developing during the tour period so they’ve been included in the maybe pile, although I think that’s Chris’ attempt at a peace offering.

So this week the rest of the band arrived and as soon they came to terms with the cold conditions, the mice and Chris Colonna we jumped straight into tracking. Right now Tommy, who plays bass, is laying down his parts, not without hassle though unfortunately. His bass seems to be playing up a bit and it’s not responding the way it normally would so we’ve had to drive to Canberra for a minor repair, thankfully Canberra is only an hour away so it hasn’t put too great a dent into the schedule. In the meantime however it’s allowed new member, Marvin and I to go over some new songs and get him feeling comfy with the arrangements. Speaking about Marvin actually, he’s under enormous pressure from everyone to step up to the plate and provide some backing vocals on this recording. It’s turning out to be a bigger hurdle than anyone had counted on unfortunately as Marv has developed an insane insecurity complex which seems to be crippling his attempts to sing so fuck knows how we’re going to get his angel like voice present on this album. Its very frustrating actually, because he can really sing and it would really add another element to the w&c palette, let alone make my job allot easier. I think alcohol is going to play a big part.

I really wish I had some photos for you this time, believe me it was the plan but for some fucking reason this digital camera that I borrowed is not cooperating at all, I think I’m going to head into Canberra on the weekend to get another one

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home